What I’ve Been Reading 18May2012
- Believe In Jesus And Drink Fermented Cod Liver Oil And You Will Have Eternal Life; The title was too good to modify. In this day of special diets, lifestyles and nutritional choices, this is a good word of warning on some consequences of becoming fixated on this part of our lives.
“Finding out which foods are “good” and which foods are “bad” can take a tremendous amount of time and energy. We need to be careful that the search for optimal health doesn’t consume so much of our time that we neglect the weightier matters of life”
- Don’t Sacrifice Family on the Altar of Ministry; Don’t Idolize Family to the Neglect of Ministry
“What if, instead of bristling at the inherent tensions between our ministries in our families and ministries in the church, we embraced the fact that this is a healthy tension? Indeed, there are many situations when doing God’s will involves tension.”
- Fashion Advice for Pastors Not a parody site. Really. Sometimes, evangelicals like us can focus on the wrong things. It’s good to mock ourselves about the homogeneity of appearance and packaging. The Gospel Coalition weighs in on this site, too.
Note: This link not at all intended to ridicule the fashionable elders that I serve with at GTBC. I am thankful that I can feel comfortable dressing like a middle-aged engineer as you guys buy your cool stuff at the Buckle. I realize that I bought my jeans when you guys were entering college. Now where'd I leave my reading glasses...
- Marriage is to be between One Man and One Woman
The same Bible that defines marriage as between one man and one woman, the same Bible that states clearly (in both the Old and New Testaments) that homosexual practice is sin, also states that for me to hold “antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or irrational fear” toward another person created in the image of God is sin. (Emphasis added)
- Take that, tea drinkers! (now, quickly run to the Google machine and search on “why tea is better than coffee” and you’ll no doubt find scientific studies to support your position.)